Country Financial Controller – Singapore, Thailand, SEA
Email Wai Ling
||18th November 2020
Client Background & Role Summary:
Our client, a large automotive group in Asia Pacific is currently looking for a Country Financial Controller – Singapore, Thailand & SEA.
- Responsible for planning, implementation, managing and running of all finance activities of the Motors operation in Singapore, Thailand & SEA , including business financial planning, budgeting, forecasting and negotiations with emphasis on bottom line performance, working capital and enhancing shareholder value.
- Provide useful financial insights to help make better decisions about formulating and executing strategy. Ensure compliance of regulatory requirements and internal policies.
- FC also performs the role of Risk Champion and support the Country MD, in overseeing the Region’s Procurement and IT functions of the region.
- Company Secretary for the Group’s motor companies in Singapore.
Strategic & Business Development
- Independent participation in strategic planning process and business/ operational planning, and set financial objectives and budgets in support of the strategic and business goals of the Region;
- Support Country MD in all Business Development Activities through independent appraisals, including but not limited to M&A, new dealership applications and new business opportunities in terms of investment viabilities as well as evaluation of strategic or business expansion options, investment decisions, funding plan and review significant contracts;
- Sit in the boards of all company subsidiaries and act in good faith in the best interest of all shareholders and the Group.
Safeguarding of the Group’s Stakeholders Interests
- Ensure that the interests of the Group as a whole are safeguarded at all times.
- Ensure that dividends are appropriately paid annually by operating companies at least according to policy enunciated by the Group or Division to their respective holding companies and flowing to the Division.
- Ensure that all local policies and procedures are well maintained and complied with and ensuring that the local policies and procedures are aligned to those enunciated by the Division and the Group.
- Assume full responsibility for finance, accounting, tax and treasury functions (“Finance Functions”) and effective tax governance of the Region;
- Ensure the integrity and effectiveness of the Finance Functions and appropriate policies are in place and being complied with;
- Lead in the design and evolution of analytical tools to better forecast changing business scenarios;
- Monitor the country finance teams to manage the annual budget and forecasting process;
- Establish relevant financial metrics and ensures accurate monthly reporting of business performance, including the consistent application of sound financial principles, standards and practices across businesses in the markets;
- Identify all material issues relating to revenue recognition and product costing, and provides useful insights and recommendations from profit analysis to facilitate business decision-making;
- Responsible for review and overall management of internal controls in all business processes;
- Regularly reviews all finance policies, processes and procedures to ensure they are optimal for the changing demands of the business;
- Oversee credit management across the markets, reviewing the reporting and appropriate actions of debtor and unbilled revenue balances;
- Fully responsible for managing the internal and external audit processes; and
- Ensure the country finance teams are appropriately skilled to support business demands. Accountable for the development of the teams and the succession plans of critical finance leadership roles and the execution of these plans.
- Assess organizational performance against the annual budget and Region’s 5 years strategy blueprint;
- Build and manage relationships with external parties including minority shareholders, bankers, business partners and external auditors and consultants;
- Responsible for corporate liquidity, investments, and risk management related to the financial activities of the Region.
- First point of contact for their automotive principal’s cost build and all financial matters.
- Manage the tax function aligning with the Divisional strategies and the regional business goals, drive strategic value and improve the overall tax efficiency through effective tax compliance, tax planning and tax risk management.
- Collaborate with Country MD, Division CFO and advisors to define, evaluate and implement strategic tax initiatives.
- Ensure compliance by all OUs in Singapore, Thailand and SEA of all tax / levies related regulations. Monitor and provide guidance on tax compliance related matters, including tax reporting, tax document management, tax cash flows management, etc.
- Monitor tax developments and legislative changes, evaluate financial and tax impact on business, recommend solutions and / or identify tax planning opportunities.
- Assess, contain / mitigate and manage tax risks and controls. Manage tax disputes, tax audits or tax investigations, formulate defensible positions / arguments, and advise on negotiation / settlement strategies with the tax authorities.
Controls, Risk Management & Compliance
- Develop processes and disciplines to monitor and assess risk in positions, perform risk analysis, foreign exchange risk management (when appropriate), operational banking and cash management, as well as policies formulation;
- Drive the overall efficiency and accuracy of the financial control process; supervise and ensure timely and accurate production of financial and management accounts for corporate reporting of consolidated results;
- Ensure compliance with local statutory financial regulations and standards, lead and manage all financial audits, tax and compliance filings; work with the local and divisional finance team to ensure corporate governance and internal control frameworks are complied with.
Procurement (50:50 with Division Procurement)
- Ensure purchasing activities aligned to corporate compliance, partner with Division Procurement to develop procurement strategies to maximize cost savings and create synergies for the Company;
- Evaluate purchase requisitions, including contract terms, risk assessment, pricing, supplier selection, and take appropriate actions to ensure the appropriate level of business controls are met;
- Ensure appropriate policies and procedures in place to guide through the procurement process to ensure that requirements meet established standards and that applicable policies, practices and procedures are understood and followed.
- Ensure healthy & justifiable stock level at all OUs and are well managed by the operation heads of the OUs, including reviewing stock procurement requests prior to further consideration by Country MD.
- Ensure that the age of stocks in the inventory are well managed by the OUs’ operation heads and the Country’s ageing stock level do not exceed maximum targeted or tolerable level or percentage.
Information Technology (50:50 Wwith Division IT)
- Align with Division IT to formulate the IT Strategy and continuously optimize the IT environment to cater business needs;
- Partner with Division IT to provide technology vision and leadership in the development and implementation regarding to system architecture, data architecture, business processes, security, policies and standards.
- Grooming a team of solid accounting professionals and develop potential incumbents for succession, lead multiple finance teams to ensure high standard of accounting functions across all subsidiaries within the group in the region.
- Bachelor degree in Accounting & Finance; with MIA / ACA / CIMA / ACCA (or equivalent full membership in professional accounting bodies recognized by MIA) – qualified ideally with over 15 years of post-qualified experience.
- Minimum 15 years’ experience in a multinational corporation operating in a regional environment and managing remote teams preferably in Southeast Asia (SEA) and in particular markets such as Thailand and Indonesia.
- Experience in dealing with a Group structure; including providing for the safeguarding of Group’s interests at regional level.
- Experience in retail sales and distribution.
- Hands-on, with at least 15 years’ experience of leading a finance function including at least 5 years at higher regional or divisional level in a Group environment.
- Experience in financial reporting experience under IFRS and familiarity with accounting regulations & practices in SEA.
If you are interested, kindly email your updated resume to Wai Ling at firstname.lastname@example.org or click “Apply Now”. Regretfully, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Thank you!