CEO of Non-Profit Organisation
||General Management, Healthcare
Email Wai Ling
||22nd October 2019
Client Background & Role Summary:
Our client, an independent and non-profit healthcare research organisation based in Malaysia is looking for a CEO to lead this growing organisation comprising of a team of healthcare scientists and operation staff based in Kuala Lumpur. The role is to be responsible for the organisation’s strategic plan and objectives, financial and administrative management of the organisation. Working closely with the Board of Trustees, he/she develops the organisation’s long-term strategy, budget and operational plan and ensures it complies with the law and regulations, including playing a key role in motivating and engaging donors, staff, volunteers and beneficiaries. The CEO acts as ambassador for the organisation and is the public face for campaigns and building relationships with stakeholders and donors.
- Strategic planning:
- Prepare a strategic plan and annual budget for approval by the Board of Trustees.
- Act as an effective liaison between the Board and the Scientific Advisory Committee so that the Board of Trustees is provided with the necessary expert and professional advice on the type of research for that may be conducted by the Organisation.
- Work with the Board:
- Build an effective working relationship with the Chair of the Board of Trustees and individual members of the Board of Trustees.
- Execute Board approved policies, regularly brief the Board on progress against Strategy and agreed KPIs, ensuring that resources are effectively and efficiently used
- Build Trust and confidence between the Board and staff.
- Work with the Trustees to help promote the organisation to all stakeholders.
- Deliver the organisation’s operational plan, including:
- Ensure that the Organisation is a leader and core contributor of this field of research in Malaysia by identifying the research areas which will enable long term benefit to the patients, fostering new and ongoing research programmes and leading in collaborative research in these areas.
- Ensure that the Organisation has the necessary local and international links in order to advance the research for patient benefit by developing collaborative initiatives with tertiary and relevant research institutions worldwide.
- Work collaboratively with tertiary institutions to develop a long term strategy for the development of post-graduate studies in this research field.
- Continuously monitor the business environment and trends so as to help identify key risks of the business and solutions to mitigate them or to identify new sustainable opportunities.
- Oversee the fundraising strategy of the Non-Profit Organisation, including:
- Develop the organisation’s public profile so as to ensure a sustainable income from individual, corporate, legacy and trust donations.
- Help the organisation to win research grants from funding agencies or public bodies or develop social enterprise or commercial ‘spin offs’.
- Ensure effective operations including:
- Operate within the annual budget and ensuring management and HR policies are up-to-date.
- Establish and monitor key indicators of the organisation’s impact and financial health.
- Maintain awareness of risks and changes in the external environment that affect the organization.
- Ensure the organisation fulfills its legal, statutory and regulatory responsibilities.
- Ensure effective management of human, financial and physical resources and provide a culture of continuous improvement and innovation, ensuring performance outcomes are achieved to a high standard.
- Ensure engaged staff and volunteers, including:
- Build a strong research culture, driving successful outcomes and standards of excellence at the workplace.
- Provide leadership and direction to staff and volunteers by promoting and maintaining a culture of continuous improvement and knowledge sharing.
- Promote an accountable, fair and safe work environment through the implementation of management practices, policies and procedures, including workplace health and safety, equal opportunities and performance management.
- Recruit and work with the senior management team.
- Work with HR to manage recruitment, retention and succession matters.
- Prepare regular reports to the Board of Trustees and attend Board and sub-committee meetings.
- Build relationships with donors and cultivating prospective donors to support the organisation’s goals.
- Ensure the organisation’s staff and volunteers are focused on achieving its mission and aims.
- Build relationships with government officials and the media in order to advance the organisation’s aims.
- Ensure that the organisation’s goals fulfill the needs of the beneficiaries of the foundation’s mission and to build engaging relationships with the beneficiaries.
- Represent the organisation at international, national and local scientific and clinical conferences and meetings, promoting a positive public image and ensuring that policy and research leads to best practice in this field.
- Represent the organisation at external events and publicity opportunities.
- Represent the organisation to the media and give interviews.
- Have a deep sense of passion to work in a non-profit organization.
- At least 10 years of senior management experience managing a staff strength of 100 employees or more.
- Able to provide leadership and develop strategic objectives and directions.
- Able to oversee financial, operation and performance of the organization.
- Able to strategize and drive partnerships and fund raising activities.
- Past success working with Board of Directors, overseas partners, external stakeholders and the community.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills.
- Experience working in the Health, Education, Social Welfare or Charitable organisations and/or related ministries and agencies would be advantageous.
If you are interested, kindly email your updated resume to Wai Ling at email@example.com or click “Apply Now”. Regretfully, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Thank you!