Head of Operational Safety
||Oil & Gas
||Negeri Sembilan, Malaysia
||Up to 168,000 per annum
||17th January 2019
Client Background & Role Summary:
Our client is an O&G refining company and a listed company. Its main business is to refine and manufacture petroleum products and it is the one of the largest refinery in Malaysia.
The Head of Operational Safety is accountable to manage all aspects of operation safety of the refinery. This includes development and sound implementation of HSSE standards in the field, training delivery, data analysis and overall assurance activity throughout HRC facilities. He/she advises Senior Operations Manager and Quality & HSSE Manager on all Operational Safety/HSSE issues, and also responsible for Industrial Hygiene matters.
- Strategise, lead, develop, implement and regularly review Operational Safety standards and procedures ensuring it remains relevant in line with HRC Control Framework and legal requirements.
- Perform duties as registered Safety & Health Officer, i.e. DOSH JKKP submission, legal compliance audit, license renewal, legal update, incident notification, etc.
- Develop overall new/improved HSSE compliance strategies ensuring site-wide compliance to new/ amended regulations and company standards.
- Perform role as Secretary for HSSE Steering Committee and accountable to ensure timely preparation of HSSE inputs for various tiered-HSSE meeting occurring on monthly basis.
- Chairman for site-wide PPE Committee, deciding on mimimum allowable standards of PPE for use on-site; and other required sub-committees on HSSE.
- Lead and manage all related projects/TA-HSSE activities, providing sound advise and disciplined assurance on HSSE implementation.
- Partners asset managers/line managers/supervisors in driving HSSE excellence culture towards Goal Zero.
- Make decisions on reasonable mitigation for critical activities enabling safe work execution i.e. inert confined space entry, isolation deviations.
- Perform role as site Permit to Work Focal Point. This include performing regular health checks to identify gaps, analyzing results and providing proactive feedback. He/she is also the approving party for all PTW Authorities in the company, i.e. PTW Applicant, Holder, AGSI & FHS.
- Chairs JHA Committees deciding on risk mitigations especially for Projects/TA.
- Perform role as SME and Competency Assessors for HSSE Critical Positions/Leaders, approving competency fitness to perform HSSE Critical Activities.
- Key technical HSSE SME to recommend reasonable mitigation in allowing any deviations from prescribed HSSE rules and standards.
- Perform duties as lead investigator for HSSE/Process Safety related incidents, provide sound recommendations and ensure effective implementation of controls on-site.
- Lead trainer/main coordinator for all Operational Safety subjects, i.e. PTW Module 1&2 and any other relevant HSSE topics. Accountable for site Technical Authority list updates.
- Lead all compliance training activities, i.e. NIOSH Confined Space, Manual Handling.
- Perform role of site custodian and SME for HSSE Induction programme for employees, contractors and visitors, and ensure it stays current.
- Oversee effectiveness and drive for site-wide Goal Zero Walk activities and other relevant HSSE assurance activities.
- Lead and support incident response activities which may include critical responses during off-hours.
- Provide HSSE advise and support to all staffs, contractors in SRC and other relevant stakeholders, i.e. LOBP, LPG bottling plant, community partners, etc.
- Review Refinery Safety Regulations and Standing instructions regularly and ensure updates are done timely and communicated effectively.
- Provide all relevant technical safety inputs to support other relevant functions of QHSSE which include emergency response, security, health, environment and quality.
- Lead behavioural safety initiatives on-site and perform training as required.
- Coaches line managers, supervisors and frontline leaders in embedding the right safety leadership mindset.
- Responsible to inculcate and promote the principle of risk management and ALARP. This include providing the right level of awareness and competencies throughout the organization.
- Support all emergency response activities which include EMT, drills, exercises and training. Lead/design/implement proactive intervention for accident prevention through sound data analysis, i.e campaign, safety stand downs, leadership forums and workshops.
- Lead/coach/support all risk assessment activities, i.e. HAZID, JHA, PHA, Event RAs, Greenbanding, short term HSSE assessment.
- Provide leadership and visibility in the field through active field coaching, and be the role model for all HSSE practitioners/line supervisors.
- Provide routine support on operational safety through regular team involvement in Ops Morning Meeting, Shift Team Meeting, Maintenance and Contractors toolbox, Mass toolbox.
- Accountable for establishment and maintenance of a robust system implementation for Contractor HSSE Management and partners effectively with Contract Holders.
- Accountable for provision of sound Industrial Hygiene assessment, i.e.Health Risk Assessments, with practical recommendations on risk mitigation.
- Strategise, lead and drive continuous improvements for key HSSE processes.
- Perform duties as Contract HSSE Leads/Contract Owner/Contract Holder.
- Perform duties as Lead Auditors for HSEMS and coach others.
- Lead key departmental activities, i.e. Safety Day, Turun Padang, ISO Audits, Energiser events, VIP/regulator visits, participation in HSSE awards.
- Lead/support other site-wide activities, i.e. IPP.
- Perform other relevant duties as prescribed by the Quality & HSSE Manager.
- Degree/ Diploma in HSSE, Engineering or other equivalent fields.
- Minimum 8-10 years working experience in either HSSE/Operations/other equivalent fields.
- Sound refinery operations knowledge and experience/familiar on operations function.
- In-depth knowledge on Operational HSSE procedures, i.e Permit to Work, CSE and HSSE-MS.
- Strong passion on QHSSE, inspiring organization towards Generative culture on HSSE.
- Certified and registered Safety & Health Officer.
- DOSH registered Chemical Health Risk Assessor (CHRA) & DOSH registered Confined Space Trainer as added advantage.
- Ability to coach and motivate a large group of employees and contractors to be HSSE-compliant.
- Good communications skills in both Malay and English as well as ability to build rapport with all internal and external stakeholders.
- Analytical and possess high perseverance level.
- Must be results-oriented, demonstrate proactiveness in managing issues, and strong inter-personal skills.
- Possess good risk management acumen, and courageous to challenge the site on HSSE/PS concerns.
- Has wide knowledge on refinery operations and strong technical HSSE competencies.
- Drive continuous improvement of Permit To Work System and other Operational Safety standards.
- Embedding the HSSE leadership mindset site-wide at all layers of organization.
- Develop strong partnership with line management in driving HSSE excellence culture.
If you are interested, kindly email your updated resume to Daesi at firstname.lastname@example.org or click “Apply Now”. Regretfully, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Thank you!